Bronzed Leg Protection: The Elven Greaves
If you’re a fantasy fan looking for something to field at a fantasy LARP event, a Cosplaying convention, or simply something beautiful to display as an armor collection, then look no further for the perfect addition to your fantasy character.
Elven warriors, scouts, or even orcs who happen to adore Elven culture and fashion would do well to add this pair of greaves to their outfit. These greaves are actually made up of two steel plates, which feature a brass finish for that Elven flair.
The main plate wraps around the wearer’s shin and has three shallow ridges that point down to the feet. The smaller plate protects the knee and is more elaborately designed, featuring a pointed edge that is angled upwards to cover the kneecap, along with multiple raised ridges that form a heart shape.
These two plates are riveted to a series of three leather straps that wrap around the leg, which are each fastened by buckles. The straps are stamped with holes, which allow for the fit to be adjusted if needed.
Elves on Horseback: Magic or Mundane?
As we’re talking about greaves and leg protection in general, it makes sense to talk about horses. After all, it was mounted soldiers who would have been most concerned with leg protection in historical terms, so it makes sense that the same would be true in fantasy.
Again, the fantasy fans out there are likely very familiar with the “Tolkien Elves”, so named because they crop up in Tolkien’s Middle Earth as probably the original example of fantasy elves and elf-like creatures. Among other wonderful abilities, these elves were fantastic horse-riders.
The Elven connection with horses is more than just another example of them being generally better than humans, but rather a consequence of their deeper connection with the world and nature. Because of this, they have a mutual respect with horses and can even communicate with them, making them unmatched in skill.
Elves also usually went without the normal riding kit, although it wouldn’t be hard to believe that Elven warriors would still wear greaves. Leg cuts hurt elves just as much as humans.
The technical specifications for the Elven Greaves are as follows:
- Materials: 19 gauge mild steel with leather straps
- Colour: Brass finish
- Care Instructions: Keep away from water. Clean using a metal polish and occasionally treat with oil. Use leather-care products for the fittings.
This product is available in three different sizes. The measurements for these sizes are approximate:
- Small/Medium: Full Length – 16.9 Inch, Shin Length – 12.2 Inch, Shin Top Width – 7.9 Inch, Shin Bottom Width – 3.9 Inch, Knee Length – 5.5 Inch, Knee Width – 8.7 Inch, Weight – 3.4 lb.
- Large/X-Large: Full Length – 18.5 Inch, Shin Length – 13.8 Inch, Shin Top Width – 9.8 Inch, Shin Bottom Width – 5.1 Inch, Knee Length – 6.7 Inch, Knee Width – 10.2 Inch, Weight – 4.4 lb.
- XX-Large/XXX-Large: Full Length – 19.7 Inch, Shin Length – 14.2 Inch, Shin Top Width – 11.4 Inch, Shin Bottom Width – 6.3 Inch, Knee Length – 7.5 Inch, Knee Width – 11.4 Inch, Weight – 5.1 lb.